Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Welcome!

Welcome! I have started this blog with the hope of reaching out to other youth who are interested in serving others. I want this blog to:

1. Inform others about Nightingale Dolls - who we are, what we do and who is helping

and

2. Inspire others to join in our cause!

We welcome groups of all ages to participate. We are located along the beautiful Wasatch Mountains in Utah and can provide instruction, patterns and even materials!

By way of background, I began this venture last March (07) after completing a 'Master Project' in my 7th grade class about Florence Nightingale. She was amazing! At one point, she met a very sick child in a hospital. The child was alone and afraid. Florence Nightingale didn't have a lot of resources, but she made a quick, cloth doll for this child. I was so moved by this simple act and decided to make my own dolls. I set a goal of 1,000 dolls and went online to research patterns. After settling on a basic, pancake doll pattern I came up with the idea to leave the face of the doll blank and send it with a washable marker. I wrote this poem that goes with the doll and marker:

A doll for you from a secret place
take the marker and draw a face
happy, sad, whatever you feel
then wash it -- change it, as you heal

With love from
A child who cares


Well, I started making dolls. I spent most of this past summer planning, cutting, sewing and delivering dolls. Then other youth started saying that they wanted to help me! How exciting! It is soooo much better to have many hands working on a project like this, so I came up with a pattern and instruction booklet. (I need to figure out how to link to those documents)

This is a new adventure for me. Please be patient - bear with me as I figure out how to blog, how to respond, how to post pictures and instructions....yada, yada, yada. I am only 13!!!!!!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That poem is beautiful Meagan. I am going to talk to my ward and see if the youth wants to help. Also, I think my family could do 5 dolls as a family home evening service project. Let me know how to get started. Thanks.
Aunt Sarah

di said...

how amazing! it is so neat to hear about someone wanting to do good! you are a wonderful example! keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Meagan - what a wonderful project. Engaging other youth is good for them, helps you, and benefits the recipients by getting a lot more done a lot sooner. Any idea what your next project will be when you finish 1,000 dolls? Someone of your calibrer will always have something productive in the works!

Love to you and your supportive parents. ~ Aunt Linda #2 :)